Sunday, January 25, 2009

Musings

Joanna commented on an earlier post, asking about my nursing difficulties. I guess I was kind of vague in that entry, so I'll elaborate here, for anyone who's curious. I can't see a way to put this under a cut, like on LiveJournal.. if anyone knows, let me know (via comment) so those not interested don't have to hear the details. :)

With my first child, I had an easy, uncomplicated delivery. I had an epidural but no narcotics. The baby was healthy and alert, and nursed well right away. He had a great latch and a strong suck. I didn't suspect there were any problems until a visit to the pediatrician showed he had lost too much weight. We went to a lactation consultant (LC) who weighed him before and after nursing, and I was horrified to find out he had only gotten 1/4 of an ounce in 20 minutes of pretty vigorous sucking. We started supplementing at the breast, while I pumped to try to increase supply. Being that this was my first, and I was totally overwhelmed, we only continued for about three weeks. The LCs I saw were unable (due to hosopital policies) to give me any information on herbs to up my supply, and I wasn't able to put the energy into researching.

My second baby was just as healthy, born after another easy, uncomplicated delivery. Again, epidural, but no narcotics. He was healthy and nursed well from the start. I was prepared this time and had a better supplementer on hand (Lact-Aid), but he seemed to be doing so well. Alas, after a week, we found out he had lost too much weight. We went to the lactation consultant and, after a test weight, I was crushed to see that he had only gotten 1/4 of an ounce as well. This time, I had done more research ahead of time, so we got a pump right away and I began taking fenugreek and eating lots of oatmeal. I talked to Dr. Newman, who is an expert in these things, and he gave me some information on breast compressions and suggested I try a drug called domperidone, which is not available in this country. We couldn't afford the dom, so we struggled along, but my supply never improved. We quit after about two months.

My third baby was born, healthy and alert, after a fantastic homebirth. She was a natural at nursing. I had high hopes that this time would be different, because I had done a few things during pregnancy to try to help. Starting at about 20 weeks, I drank alfalfa and red raspberry leaf tea daily. At about 30 weeks, I started taking shatavari. At 36 weeks, I started taking goat's rue. When the baby was born, I added in (among other things) nettle, blessed thistle, fenugreek, red clover, fennel, marshmallow root, Reglan, and Metamucil. I didn't pump this time since it had absolutely no effect the previous times and only served to make me more stressed. Once again, she lost too much weight, but I was surprised to see that when we did a test weight, she got 1/2 an ounce after a good nursing session. That was double what I'd made before, and a victory of sorts. I continued with a rotating schedule of herbs, and was able to eventually produce about ten ounces a day by 3 months. Still not nearly enough, but an improvement. We quit at 6 months, by which time I could only convince her to nurse once at night.

I don't know why I can't produce milk. Possibilities are PCOS, insufficient glandular tissue, and possibly hypercortisolemia. I'm anxious to get my test results back in a week and a half, so I can hopefully get an answer. It's just horrible not knowing. I have had my prolactin levels checked, and they're sufficient, so things like Reglan and fenugreek, which serve to raise prolactin levels, don't work for me. I had the most success with shatavari, alfalfa, and Metamucil. If we decide to get pregnant again, I would take alfalfa and Metamucil daily throughout pregnancy, and start shatavari around 25 weeks. I would also ask my doctor if she could prescribe progesterone supplements, since there has been some evidence that, if it's taken throughout pregnancy, it can increase glandular tissue enough to let some women have a full supply. I'm hopeful that if I can lose a significant amount of weight, it would help, as well.

It's been an extremely stressful and traumatic experience for me. We've also dealt with thrush and my last two babies both had periods where they rejected the breast. I don't know why I push so hard to make it work. I'm lucky enough to have an easy time conceiving, carrying, and delivering babies. I'm very grateful for that. I just wish my body would work the way I want it to.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hey Rachel,
Don't stress about this because I was unable to breast feed, I learned that my daughter had Cystic Fibrosis which meant she had a voracious appetite. I had to supplement every other hour with water. Anyway the reason for my post is this. I firmly believe that there are woman who are meant to breast feed and woman that aren't. I also believe that there are breast babies and bottle babies. So you might have had bottle babies. Now LC and LaLeche people would argue with me but between your experience and mine it fits and it is alot less stressful. Good Luck!!!!