Sunday, February 1, 2009

Musings

My plan to cook mainly from scratch (for the kids especially) is progressing nicely. I've made two batches of cookies that the kids have loved (unfortunately, I can't help snacking a little, too). I made homemade poptarts and apple muffins for breakfasts. They've also had eggs and pancakes some days. My husband made a batch of homemade chicken nuggets and I made meatballs. So, over the last week, they've probably had about half the amount of processed foods they normally do.

And when they do have processed foods, I've been trying to give them healthier options. I went shopping at Trader Joe's and got them crackers and chocolate syrup that don't have high fructose corn syrup. I also traded in our ketchup, and I was pleased to see that Goldfish do not have HFCS. I didn't buy a single thing today that had HFCS in it. I also saved $70 by buying things on sale and using coupons (total amount was $200, but that included two weeks worth of dinners as well as stuff like toilet paper, detergent, baby wipes, etc - stuff we don't buy every week).

The only problem with me making cookies and muffins from scratch is that it can be hard to resist. I made the kids and my parents pancakes this morning and didn't even feel the need to eat one myself, but the muffins I made were just too good to pass up. I guess I can console myself with the fact that, while it was high in points, it was free of additives and other junk.

3 comments:

Enz said...

Just popped back to check how you're doing. I have to say, I love your posts, they hit just the right note of making healthy changes without being obsessive and making small mistakes to show that that this is a lifetime ahead of us, and its not about perfection - it's about persistence.
I've been cooking at home alot more lately too and using alot more fresh ingredients, which in the long run are less expensive than processed.
I'm currently unemployed so I've got lots of time time to play and experiment in the kitchen and after 20 years of working full time and having two teenagers still in the house, I've realised how much I ***miss*** cooking from scratch and how delicious food really is.
The boys and my husband are appreciating it too and are asking me to make their favourite restaurant dishes at home.

So, long winded way to say to you - you're not alone - and keep up the great work - one day at a time and you will get there.

mlud said...

I love muffins too! I found a VERY healthy recipe using whole wheat pastry flour, no oil or butter and no eggs. It used applesauce, and honey. I add frozen blueberries or cranberries. the rest of the family should like them too.

Maddie Lynn said...

Hi,
I think this is amazing! I am so glad to read it. It makes me realize that my small mistakes are just that- small. There is one thing that works really well for me when I have a craving, and I KNOW i shouldn't be eating it. Brush your teeth! It's so weird, but NOTHING tastes good with toothpaste taste in your mouth! haha, hope this helps on your journey