Monday, March 16, 2009

Musings

I'm just going to come right out and say it. I don't believe in weight loss surgery. I know that, theoretically, it's the best choice for some people, but every single person I know who's had it done used it poorly. My mom had gastric bypass last September, and she's lost nearly a hundred pounds since then. She now weighs a little more than I do. She looks fantastic and is able to walk a bit more easily. Unfortunately, her rate of weight loss has slowed dramatically, and I really think it's because of the fact that she never really changed her eating habits. She still eats unhealthy food, just in smaller, more frequent quantities. She still goes most of the workday without eating, then comes home and tries to binge, and just ends up getting sick.

Her boss had the surgery done a few years back and has now gained almost all her weight back. So too with a couple I know who both had gastric bypass.

It just seems futile, you know? How can a surgery really effect a change in eating habits? Because until you stop relying on food for emotional comfort, until you learn to cook and eat healthy foods, any weight loss will be temporary. And that's what I'm working on.. trying to find alternative ways to reward myself for getting through a bad day and transitioning to a whole foods, preferably local diet. It's hard work, sure. But I'm confident that if I can effect these changes in my lifestyle, that weight will stay off.

8 comments:

Marilyn Bowen said...

I'll have to agree with you. I have often considered the surgery with my husband and daughter only to return to the main objective, lose weight and to get healthy. It needs to be healthy in...healthy out! I enjoy reading your blogs.

Heidi D said...

Surgery is only effective if you look at it and use it like a tool. It isn't supposed to be a miracle cure. Although it is sometimes reported to be one.

If you have a competent doctor, he will make sure you understand it's still going to be hard work. Changing your diet is essential to have it work. If a person is really committed to loosing weight the gastric bypass can be a great thing. It's all about the mindset.

Celia said...

I have never had surgery or been within the weight limit for it either, but I have seen people have this surgery and gain all the weight back. I also saw someone who just had a lap band eating lots of cake.

Kathy. D said...

I have to totally agree with you and everyone's response. I do hear of people gaining all their weight back and they cannot go back and have more surgery. It IS mind set and total and complete lifestyle change. I'm trying to not get caught up in the "pills" too. I just take vitamins so far.

Anonymous said...

hi from scotland. i too use weight watchers and have done for the last 5 years.I have lost over 50lbs to get to my target and have kept it off all this time using the points plan so keep at it.I surgery is not the answer just a quick fix and realy all we have to do is make small changes to our diet.Looking farward to your next post, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Hola!
I was googling 'zero point foods' and found your blog. Yours is one of the few that I see updated frequently so I will create an RSS feed to keep up with you!

I just started (like, YESTERDAY) on weight watchers and I am excited that I found a fellow blogger! Yay!

As for surgery, I went to a meeting had my date set up and was ready for that commitment. Then I started to think about it. I know where my weight comes from and 'chopping' it off just felt wrong. There's no victory in that weight loss, no conquer. I need that 'I won!' feeling and the cheap route isn't going to give it to me.

Feel free to visit my blog. It has very, very little to do with weight loss and can get vulgar and blunt about a huge aray of subjects, but really feel free to stop by!

Good luck and stay strong,
d*s

Rachael said...

I used to be adamantly against weight loss surgery. Then in 2002 one of my best friends in the world got gastric bypass, and it completely changed her entire life. She committed and has kept the weight off, and she is a much better and happier person and leading the life she deserves now. Before that, I was totally against it. After, I realized that in some situations, it might be what is right for the person.

I do think that it is a shame when people get the surgery because they think it's an "easy way out", because it isn't. It's like liposuction - afterwards, you have to eat right and exercise, or you'll just gain again. You have to be willing to change your whole life, otherwise it's pointless.

If I had tried and tried to lose weight and NOTHING worked, then I would consult a doctor about it. But I would have had to try everything else possible. I am on weight watchers now and losing weight for the first time in my life.

I think the main thing is that a lot of people don't realize that it's a serious surgery and it's NOT an easy way out because you do have to follow a very strict diet etc. It just depends on the person and the situation.

PS My word verification is "petmeate" and that sort of freaks me out.

Rachael said...

I so agree with you.
Quick fixes are never the option in any aspect of our lives.