Sunday, March 22, 2009

Musings

I had a comment in a previous entry that said how brave I was to blog about my weight loss journey, because it opens my choices up for criticism. And, y'know, this person had a point.. it can be really frustrating to be trying hard, only to see people commenting like, "Gee, you should really..." or "You'd lose more if only you..." Part of these comments come through email, from the Non-Diet website, too. The vast majority of people reading this blog haven't a clue who I am, so, yeah, it does kind of bug me to get these comments that seem to question my intelligence.. like I don't know it's better to do X rather than Y. Life is never simple; a whole host of variables come into play when determining what I will actually eat in a given day.

But, you know.. despite all these minor little irritations.. I absolutely love blogging about my weight loss. Why? I love the supportive comments, the ones cheering me on, the ones where people tell me nicely what worked for them, the ones that say they're inspired to make a difference in their own lives. Dieting is a lot of work, and it really, truly means a lot to see comments from these people who are helping me out along the way.

So, thank you to my regular commenters! You know who you are. :)

8 comments:

Rachael said...

It really does make a difference, doesn't it?!

Rachael said...

Having been a dieter for the last decade and a half and until eight weeks ago a WW member for the third time...lasted 4 months or so this time and lost 16.5lbs...already put 5 back on...I know how difficult this dieting is. Well done you. You are an inspiration and I will be keeping an eye on your progress with the hope of your enthusiasm rubbing off on me.

Celia said...

I agree with you about the minor irritations. It's like when you become a new mom. Everyone has "advice" for you. You just take it with a grain of salt. Usually the people giving the weightloss advice are in need of taking it themselves.

-- said...

It's actually funny to be reading this right now. Only moments ago I was leaving a message on a girlfriend's facebook page about my weight loss and how I decided to try something different this week. Immediately my mind was filled with worry. Worry of what she'd say about it. It's nothing bad, I'm just going to weigh myself every day. I know that our bodies can shift from day to day but I felt pretty choked about my 3.8lbs weight GAIN last week so I wanted to try and keep track of what I'm doing. I know it can backfire but I've made up my mind. Yet somehow when someone says something negative or "did you know..." it kinda does make you feel stupid, just because it seems like maybe they think you are. Though I'm sure if she does saying anything, she's probably just trying to help.

Anyways, keep going strong and try not to let any negative comments work themselves into your head. You're doing an awesome job and you should be darn proud of yourself! *hugs*

Kathy. D said...

I really appreciate your open honesty on your blogs and love to read the support you get, also. It IS hard, changing lifestyles by improving your health by selecting healthy food choices is VERY hard. You are very right what you wrote me-- if you are doing good 6 days a week and decide to splurge on the other day, we really are ahead of the game. I don't do the Weight Watchers perfect every single day--me personally--I just can't. I'm pretty good 5 days of the week but weekends are in the "grey" area for me. Maybe if I attended the meetings on weekends it would be better but overall I'm still happy. I remember how It was before I started.

Enz said...

I love your blog and it was your blog that made me think about writing my own. No one walks in your shoes, so try not to let "people" get you down.
Hugs.

Marie said...

My problem is I don't attend meetings, so I don't know what is normal. Is it normal to lose weight consistently for several weeks and then stop? I feel like I have reached a plateau. I still eat within my points, and I try to exercise a bit every day. How do we get past this? What works for you guys?

Jenilee said...

I think its a good thing what your doing..But I think the people who are going to follow you are the ones who support you not the ones who have negative things to say. I have a hard time admitting my weight to people especially taking photos of myself.
But its something I have to get over. And I'm so glad I found this blog.
I start my journey on monday.
Here is my blog:
http://jencanloseit.blogspot.com
BTW do you watch the biggest loser?